Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign
Newsletter 16th January 2020
Gatwick’s Big Enough campaign update
In August 2019 GACC established the Gatwick’s Big Enough campaign to oppose the expansion plans set out in Gatwick’s master plan. GACC is leading the campaign working alongside community groups from around the airport.
To date we have:
- Engaged with all the key stakeholders including MPs, councils, the Department for Transport, the Planning Inspectorate and the airport itself
- Briefed MPs and councils on the likely consequences of Gatwick’s plans and on the significant gaps in the arrangements for approving or rejecting those plans
- Presented at Gatwick’s Consultative Committee, GATCOM Commissioned legal advice on the best way to oppose Gatwick’s proposed main runway growth, which is not currently within the scope of the ongoing planning process
- Worked with local groups to launch fund raising campaigns
- Arranged and attended a number of awareness raising events in local communities.
A significant focus of our work to date has been to try to ensure that all Gatwick’s growth is subject to a rigorous, independent, planning process in which all parties can have a voice. Currently 60% of growth proposed by Gatwick would be from more intensive use of its main runway, which is not covered by the planning process. We believe that growth without scrutiny is unacceptable, against government policy and inconsistent with the law.
See GACC newsletter (link above) for further details.
Alternatively contact directly
John Byng 01293 537234
Peter Barclay 01293 862821