Sussex Police Holiday Advice
23rd July 2018
While you are away on holiday, your home could be at a greater risk of being broken into
We would like to offer some tips to help you make your home more secure and to reduce this risk whilst you are away.
- Make your home look occupied by asking a trusted relative, neighbour or friend to check your home, collect mail, water plants and to park their car on your drive etc.
- Consider using the Royal Mail’s “Keep Safe” service – They will keep your mail for up to two months while you’re away.
- Don’t leave curtains closed in the daytime as this shows the house is empty.
- Use automatic timer switches to turn your lights on when it is dark.
- Cancel regular deliveries such as newspapers and milk.
- Avoid discussing holiday plans publically on social media or where you may be overheard by strangers.
- Cut your lawn before you go.
- Consider leaving important documents and valuable items with other family members, a bank or in a safe.
- Consider leaving valuable items kept in your shed in the house.
- Put all your tools, including ladders, away so they can’t be used to break into your house.
- Don’t forget to lock all external doors and windows removing and hiding keys.
- And finally lock/padlock any external gates and set the burglar alarm if you have one
If something is stolen report it to us online at sussex.police.uk or by calling 101. Call 999 if the crime is happening now.