Global challenges – local initiatives
With COP26 well underway, in West Sussex we’re continuing the challenges of encouraging residents to make active travel choices and reducing carbon emissions across the county.
- working with bus and coach operators on a Bus Service Improvement Plan
- the West Sussex Transport Plan, which will set out how we intend to balance our environmental, economic and social objectives and resolve conflicts between them
- the development of the next package of cycling and walking schemes and promotional activity following a central government grant of £274,900.
More info on local highways initiatives
It’s Energy Day at COP26 today, and in West Sussex we’re increasing the amount of clean energy we generate and use. We own and operate two solar farms and we’ve integrated renewable energy technology into council buildings and installed solar panels on more than 80 of our schools.
Stay safe on Bonfire Night
If you’re celebrating Bonfire Night this year and meeting up with friends and family, staying outdoors is the safest way to protect yourself and others from spreading Covid-19.
Please continue to wash hands often, wear a face covering when it is difficult to maintain social distance and leave space between other people.
If you do meet inside, let fresh air in to help let virus particles out.
West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is also reminding people to take extra care if you plan to mark the occasion with fireworks.
Following these simple measures will help to keep everyone safe and give you peace of mind to relax and enjoy the celebrations.
Covid-19 cases are currently high in West Sussex – see the latest data dashboard.
Latest local vaccination update
The Covid-19 vaccination programme continues across West Sussex and anyone eligible is encouraged to get their jabs.
Who can get a Covid-19 vaccine?
- 1st doses – everyone aged 12 and above
- 2nd doses – everyone aged 17 and 3/4 months and above
- Booster vaccines – people in eligible groups at six months from their second dose.
Vaccination appointments for 12 to 15 year-olds can also now be booked through the National Booking System or by calling 119, this is in addition to vaccinations taking place in schools.
For more information about vaccinations for 12-17 year olds, including a useful frequently asked questions section, visit the Sussex Health and Care Partnership website.
Taking ‘Betty Bronco’ on school run proves a winner
Dusting down a 1970s bicycle proved lucky for Aimee Collins when she shared her efforts to be more active in on our ‘win a £500 bike shop voucher’ competition.
Aimee’s entry was judged the best in the contest, run as part of our #ThinkActiveTravel campaign.
Residents were invited to reply to the competition post on Facebook and say how they had started to make greener and healthier travel choices. Aimee wrote:
“My daughter started school this year, and we cycle every day on the school run. I got an old 1970s bike and added a kid’s saddle to the back. My daughter loves riding ‘Betty Bronco’ to school and back, I get more exercise, we both get fresh air and don’t have to rely on the car. I haven’t bought petrol in about 6 weeks! She is also learning road safety, so it’s a winner all round.”
County council Highways and Transport cabinet member Joy Dennis is pictured presenting the prize voucher to Aimee and her daughter Fenn, five, who are from Crawley. South Downs Bikes owner Martin Richardson and retail operations manager Aaron Creamer are also pictured.
Thanks go to South Downs Bikes for helping us with the competition.
- An initiative to leave a lasting legacy from the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee has taken root in West Sussex. The Queen’s Green Canopy is a special project to celebrate the 70th year of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign – the longest of any British monarch – by encouraging people to plant a tree.
- A rogue trader has been jailed for three years after being convicted of conning elderly West Sussex residents following an investigation by our Trading Standards team.
- An innovative, joint project is exploring the potential for grass verges to become important havens for wildflowers, insects and pollinators to help tackle the biodiversity crisis.
Did you Know
It’s Meals on Wheels Week, but our #mealsonwheelsheroes offer more than just a meal. Drivers from @apetitouk offer wellbeing checks, helping customers stay safe in their own homes. Find out more about our Meals on Wheels service here or call 01903 718893.